THCA is the newest super power in the cannabis world, with more potent effects than its counterparts – learn everything you need to know right here.
Learning about cannabis, cannabinoids, THC, THCA and all the other magical happenings of this botanical beauty, might be giving you flashbacks to high school — and that organic chemistry class you never made to it to. Because you were probably getting stoned— let’s be real.
Now, with the brink of recreational legalization across the nation, it’s important to know a little bit about what this herb is all about, and you won’t need to be an Organic Chemist to do it.
The newest discovery in the cannabis for wellness industry is THCA – the non-psychoactive, pre-decarboxylated (or heated and cured to make cannabinoids active), raw form of THC that is found in live marijuana plants.
This lovely little cannabinoid is quickly gaining the attention it deserves for its potent effect on a host of health problems like auto immune conditions, pain, inflammation and migraines. Not only does THCA have incredible potential in alternative medicine, but it is of paramount importance that this potential is explored to its fullest capacity.
And on top of packing enormous nutrient density as a whole food, it boasts even stronger anti inflammatory and pain management properties than its CBD and THC counterparts.
So what exactly is THCA?
Don’t let that word get you down. It sounds far more complicated than it is and I promise you, it’s worth knowing about either way. THCA is about to play a pivotal role in the advancement of cannabis as medicine, and as millennials, we’ve got a front row seat.
So, as you know now, THCA is simply a raw cannabinoid found in live, flowering cannabis plants. Found abundantly at that. In fact, THCA is just THC with an acidic carboxyl group (thanks again organic chemistry). This means that this cannabinoid can either carry, or drop that added group through it’s lifecycle. The process of curing cannabis after harvest, or heating for consumption, drops that carboxyl group like a bad habit and gets it all glowed up and ready to party. Commonly referred to as ‘activated’.
To capture THCA in it’s crystalline form, the whole plant must be harvested at the height of its growth or it’s flowering stage. By harvesting during this phase, growers can capture all of the plants beautiful, powerful, raw energy. This is the good stuff, and is generally how all botanicals for medicinal purposes are harvested. Like a marijuana fountain of youth. Literally.
Research proves THCA to have a myriad of health benefits, and enormous potential in therapeutic medicine in the future. Dr. William Courtney, of Cannabis International, refers to THCA as “the most powerful next advancement in health”, which is a pretty incredible statement.
As research develops, we will learn more and more about THCA, CBDA and an enormous number of cannabinoids and their counterparts to follow. What we do know so far for sure, is that THCA is a friggin superhero in the superfood world! It’s being celebrated for:
Being A Super Nutrient
This new kid to rock the block is just full of essential (meaning our body doesn’t produce them, and they must be sought through diet) and key nutrients. It is an anti oxidant power house, helping to reverse cellular damage in the body, and to protect future damage. It is said to be more therapeutic that both Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
THCA is also full of other key nutrients, including:
- Essential Amino Acids: Which are essential. Amino acids are what our body breaks proteins down into. Also, totally necessary for cellular function in the body and organs.
- Terpenes: All plant life have terpenes, they are the essential oil of botany. Terpenes are most therapeutic when combined with cannabinoids. Terpenes help THCA to cross the blood brain barrier, and can also help regulate how much THC is actually absorbed by the body.
- Omega 3 & 6: Just like the essential fatty acids that you get from salmon, seeds or hemp hearts, only better. These fats are full of protein and are loaded with all the good things for brain health nutrients and anti inflammatory properties.
Helping Bring Homeostasis or Balance to the Endocannabinoid System
As a holistic practitioner, I’m all on board with preventative health care and, generally speaking, keeping your body in such perfect balance that disease isn’t any option. Sounds good, right?
Well, this perfect balance is called homeostasis and that’s exactly what THCA helps to create and maintain through its dense nutrient capacity and its potent effect on inflammation. By providing so much good stuff for your cells and organs, they can function optimally, which is the ideal definition of health.
THCA is also a Powerful:
- Anti Inflammatory: Aids in inflammatory conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohn’s Disease, Fibromyalgia, Glaucoma, Auto Immune Conditions, Lupus and arthritis
- Anti Emetic: Helps to treat the loss of appetite
- Anti Ischmetic: Prevents the contraction of blood vessels in the body, increasing blow flood and decreasing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Nueroprotective: Prevents the degeneration and oxidation of brain cells which is indicated in conditions like dementia and alzeihmers.
And that’s not all, research also indicates THCA as providing relief for insomnia, involuntary muscles spasms or contractions and pain management.
Its all about that THCA these days!
With more than 400 unique compounds, the potential of THCA in alternative and preventative health care are truly endless, and we have a lot to look forward to.
As far as getting all this goodness, it’s best to ingest the plant raw and immediately after harvest to get the most nutrients from it. By ingesting THCA raw (whether in capsules or as a whole plant) the cannabinoids are tremendously more bio available and absorb with far more potency. For example, the rate of absorption of cannabinoids is about 10mg at a time with combustible or vaporized product. As a juiced whole food, the absorption sky rockets to between 1-2000mg. Just another reason to start juicing I guess!
Whether you’re into super foods, super nutrients or superheroes – you can get in it to win it with this super great canna-infused Green Goodness juice. Mmmm yes!
Green Goodness Juice
- 2 cucumbers
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 green apple
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 lemon
- 1 small bunch of raw cannabis leaves
- Juice until pulp free and enjoy! Juices should be ingested immediately to pack the biggest nutrient punch, but can be safely enjoyed for up to three days if kept in the refrigerator and tightly sealed.
- Smith, S. C., & Wagner, M. S. (2014). Clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CECD) revisited: Can this concept explain the therapeutic benefits of cannabis in migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and other treatment-resistant conditions? Retrieved July 08, 2018, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
- H. (2018, March 23). Virginia just made it legal to prescribe medical cannabis for any condition. Retrieved July 8, 2018, from https://herb.co/marijuana/news/thca-now-legal-virginia/
- Cannabinoid Spotlight: THCA. (2018, February 16). Retrieved July 8, 2018, from https://www.herb.delivery/single-post/2018/02/16/Cannabinoid-Spotlight-THCA
- N. (2018, April 20). Cannabinoid THCa and its therapeutic effects – Kalapa Clinic. Retrieved July 6, 2018, from https://www.kalapa-clinic.com/en/thca-cannabinoid/
- Featured Cannabinoid: THCA. (2018, January 31). Retrieved July 6, 2018, from https://www.evolab.com/press-blog/2018/1/31/featured-cannabinoid-thca