Chef Forte is known for his creative (and controversial) recipes, but his 6-step infused olive oil recipe is so simple and versatile, you’ll want to make it your new summer staple.
Jamaica native Chef Forte is taking the Canadian culinary scene by storm. He moved to New York city by the age of 12 and was heavily influenced by his grandmother’s cooking. Watching her explore different recipes and cuisines inspired Adrian’s adventurous style. By the age of 14 he moved to Toronto and years later became a staple player in the city and beyond. Chef Forte has shaped Canada’s culinary scene, working with huge hits including Rock Lobster & The Dirty Bird, also appearing on the hit TV show, Chopped Canada.
Given his track record and adventurous spirit, we spoke to Chef Forte for an inside look into cannabis cooking. He shares with us one of his favourite infused recipes: cannabis olive oil. The simplicity and versatility of the recipe goes a long way and it’s something that can be used for a variety of dishes. It elevates your simple salad to a higher level, or can add the necessary lift to a brownie recipe. Whatever dish you choose to add it to will get you buzzing.
- 4 1/2 cups of olive oil (or any cooking oil of your choosing)
- 1/2 oz of dry flower cannabis
Note: The most common choices are coconut oil or olive oil. Coconut oil is a more dynamic product because it has a milder taste, but in this recipe we’ll be focusing on olive oil.
- Stock pot
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Rubber Spatula
- Grind your 1/2 oz of cannabis. Be aware of how finely you grind the cannabis because anything that will fit through the strainer will end up in the final product. It’s best to grind the product as if you were using it to roll, avoid chunks and powder-like consistency.
- Start preheating the stove at the lowest heat and add 2 1/2 cups of olive oil into your pot. Once the oil has began to heat up (note: Don’t let the temperate of the oil exceed 245°F) it means you’re ready for the next step!
- Pour your 1/2 oz of cannabis directly into the middle of the pot to avoid product sticking to the sides. Once the cannabis is in, stir gently until everything is mixed nicely and evenly.
- Cover the pot and allow the oil and cannabis to simmer for 6 hours. This allows for the activation of THC without destroying any of the active ingredients.
- After 6 hours, turn off the stove and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes to cool off. Once cooled off, use a fine mesh strainer to slowly and CAREFULLY pour oil into a container away from your body to avoid splashing.
- Allow strained cannabis oil to sit and cool for an additional 5-10 minutes before placing into an airtight container and transferring into the fridge.
Now feel free to enjoy your cannabis-infused olive oil! Get creative with where and how you use it, and always use responsibly.